Valentine's Day is for lovers and this recipe is sure to bring loved ones together to celebrate this special romantic day. The following recipe is adapted by the amazing pastry chef Paige Retus (Olives restaurant).
Maca, a know aphrodisiac works well in this sweet/savory recipe and with the addition of the peppercorns, blood will be flowing to all the right areas!
Have this ready for a light breakfast in bed with a side of whipped butter.
Hot & Sassy Gingerbread
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp powdered mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground maca root
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup candied ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Rapadura or coconut palm sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2.5 cups sprouted spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment.
- Place all the spices, maca, salt, and chopped ginger into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and mix for a minute or two. Add the butter and mix until well creamed. Add the sugar and continue to mix. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the eggs, one at a time and blend well before each addition. Mix in the molasses, don't worry if the mixture looks broken.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a small bowl. Add half the flour mixture and 1/2 cup of the boiling water to the mixer and combine well. Add the remaining flour and water, mix until combined. The batter will be quite loose.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until top looks dry and shiny and has a springy texture, about 15-20 minutes.