Citrus season is here! Grapefruits, tangelos, tangerines, and juicing oranges are one of my most appreciated "imports" come late winter. After several months of eating grounding roots and hearty meat based stews, adding in citrus fruits and fresh pressed juice is my favorite way to begin my real food "cleanse" for spring.
This recipe is simple and delicious in so many ways. I love the way the blood orange juice works its way into the lightly steamed broccoli, giving every bite a a citrusy pop. Just enough fat from the avocado makes this a well balanced side dish or a meal all by itsself.
- 1 head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 medium sized Blood Oranges, segmented
- 1 ripe Avocados, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1 Tbsp fresh Lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh grated Ginger
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Bring 8 cups of salted water to a boil. Submerge the broccoli florets and cook just until fork tender. Remove from the liquid and drop into icy cold water. Remove when cooled, strain well.
- Segment or slice the oranges into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Add to a large mixing bowl along with the broccoli.
- Stir in the avocado with a bit of pressure to gently mash the avo into the broccoli.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then season to taste. Serve and enjoy!