If somewhere there's a list of "must learn" side dishes, then this one is surely on it. Thinly sliced garlic, lightly toasted in butter and rich olive oil coat the spinach, offering a palate pleasing combination of flavor. To add another element, you can pour in a few tablespoons of fresh, raw cream and allow the mixture to thicken as the cream reduces.
This versatile side pairs up nicely with just about any protein, or can be doubled and enjoyed on its own.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw butter
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 6 cups spinach
- sea salt to taste
- firm sheep's milk cheese, optional as garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and butter. Once the butter is melted add the garlic and cook just until it turns a golden brown color then add the spinach.
- Use tongs to toss the spinach and allow it to wilt. Sprinkle with sea salt then serve, topped with freshly grated cheese if desired.