Spinach is one of the first leafy greens to emerge in the early spring here in Maine. Many farmers utilize their greenhouses as a way to overwinter spinach that is sowed in the late summer. The extra warmth sustains the spinach until it sees warmer weather around April.
Paired with a perfectly ripe avocado, this raw soup takes minutes to prepare and makes for a simple, yet delicious lunch or dinner. With a good amount of avocado and kefir, there is plenty of fat in this soup to make it quite satiating. I love whipping up this dish when I'm craving something simple yet vibrant and flavorful.
Spinach & Avocado Soup
- 1 ripe avocado, plus more for garnish
- 1 handful of spinach, about 4 cups
- 1/2-3/4 cup kefir, yogurt, cashews, or herbal tea
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more as needed
- chipotle pepper, to garnish
- Remove the peel and pit of the avocado then add it to a blender along with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high until a smooth and creamy consistency is achieved. Taste, adjust seasonings, then serve in a large bowl. Garnish with chunked avocado and a sprinkle of chipotle pepper.